Friday 18 December 2009

Running BOINC on a Centos 5.4 server through command line

I wanted to install BOINC on a Centos 5.4 server with no GUI. I could not find BOINC on any Centos RPM repositories and the newest Linux version did not seem to work.

So I went to the BOINC download page and chose the older 6.6.41 version for x86 Linux with CLI only, and downloaded it with wget to my server. 

The downloaded file was a Bash executable script that expanded a whole directory with a number of programs inside, among which, boinc and boinccmd.

To have BOINC running, you need just do

nohup boinc &

However, the process is not attached to any BOINC project. I wanted to attach to Ibercivis, so I used the following command:

boinccmd --project_attach http://registro.ibercivis.es d44xxxxxxxxxxxx7c3

Of course, I have masked my authorization string, d44xxxxxxxxxxxx7c3. I got it from the file account_registro.ibercivis.es.xml in another installation I had on another machine.

In a matter of seconds, the command 

boinccmd --get_state

indicated that BOINC was already running on my machine. The boinccmd command also allows you to configure plenty of other parameters, but that is way another topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment