Tuesday 25 May 2010

Permalink issue in Wordpress

As I tried to activate permalinks in Wordpress on Apache, I got 404 errors (page not found) after following the instructions. The problem was related to my default Apache configuration file.

Wordpress relies on Apache's mod_rewrite module for the URL conversion. As you define your conversion rules, it creates a custom .htaccess file that indicates Apache how to rewrite your URLs.

But there is a directive at the Apache configuration file that prevents Apache from reading your .htaccess file explicitly: AllowOverride.

In particular, within my directory section, I had: 

Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
allow from all


Changed it to

Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
AllowOverride All
Order allow,deny
allow from all


and rocked!

No comments:

Post a Comment